Saturday, October 27, 2007

Reflection on Wednesday's Class

The lessons of day one were interesting. I had never really thought about the stereotypes that are actively present in everyones high schools. However, with a little observation I was able to easily pick out the characteristics that in my mind defined the stereotypical Prep. I was also amused to learn that everyones high school had unique stereotypes. The discussion into why people create stereotypes helped get the ball rolling on understanding why stereotypes occur.

I felt that the commercial assignment was a fun and eye opening activity. At first glance I didn't think there were really any stereotypes in the commercial I had chosen but again once I looked a little deeper the stereotypes were easy to pick out. Stripping the commercial of stereotypes and then replacing them with new stereotypes was fun, because it utilized my creativity, and educational, because it again allowed us to identify more stereotypes.

I suppose I would have to say that stereotypes are something that we are bombarded with everyday. In most every form of media and society there are stereotypes. They are, in todays world, impossible to avoid.

I think teaching about stereotypes is very important. English is a great subject with which to approach the stereotype topic because there is a lot of great literature that can accompany a unit on stereotyping, not to mention the obvious examples that are present in the world today. I dont think I would have any inhibitions about broaching the stereotype topic with my students I have always been of the mindset that the biggest most controversial topics are the ones that should be touched on and taught/learned about the most. I would be excited and interested to get my students engaged and discussing/thinking about the stereotypes they are subject to and the stereotypes they've created in their world.

1 comment:

Chris Kato. said...

That mindset of teaching "the biggest most controversial topics" the most is great. You cannot be a timid teacher, its ruthless out there.