Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Poem

I grew up white
I grew up middle class
I grew up happy
Relatively
I’m not oppressed
I’m not segregated
I’m not told no

But that doesn’t mean
I don’t have problems
I live an easy life
I’ve struggled
I’ve bled
I’ve tried and tried
Then failed and failed

I still get pulled over
I still get made fun of
I still get frustrated
Or angry
I’ve given up

So why does everyone see me as privileged
Because I’m white
Because I’m middle class
Because I couldn’t possibly understand
What it’s like

To not have a penis
To not think about my skin
To not be outnumbered
To not be free in every way

But those are just easy excuses
Reasons to hate instead of try
Because I’ve earned every
Dollar
A+
F-
Friend
Job position
Raise
Firing

And I’ll own them all
So don’t cast your hate on me
Because I won’t bare the burdens
Of your misfortunes

I understand you’ve had a shitty life
Your upbringing didn’t allow for the
Opportunity
Success
Safety
Love

But what would you have me do
Give it all up
So I can live as miserably as you
We are all victims

1 comment:

Ashley Vogl said...

I absolutely love this! I think it's so true in so many ways...and I especially love the last two stanzas.